Our vision is to be a progressive department, being as a centre of excellence in innovative teaching, research , service learning and by training the graduates in disciplines of regional, national and international importance.
The Department offers international benchmarked education to undergraduates and promote awareness and appreciation of the diverse and vibrant field of Botany and to produce the first choice of students in the competitive job market.
Brief profile of the Department
Department of Botany was started as natural science division in Jaffna College at Vaddukkoddai in 1974 and this was shifted to Thirunelvely in 1977 and named as Department of Botany in Biology block. First special degree courses started in 1979. The department offers a diverse range of courses supported by relevant experience of staff.Department provides enabling environment to the teachers, students and scholars in achieving excellence in teaching and research. All life forms depend on plants in order to exist on biosphere reflects the significance of Botany.
An understanding of Botany can help to
- Become a researcher or a teacher in a research or academic institution.
- Understand fundamentals of the life processes in living organisms to produce more food and fibre for growing population using healthier and better yielding crops harvested through plant breeding and genetics.
- Predict environmental changes through the use of plant as bio indicators and protect plants and endangered plant species through biodiversity conservation techniques.
- Provide link between academics and industry.
- Manage sustainable agriculture, forestry and horticulture with efficacy.
Names of Head of the Department of Botany from 1974 to date.
|Dr.A.Sivapalan||1974 – 1977|
|Prof.K.Theivendirarajah||1980 – 1986|
|Dr.S.Kandiah||1987 – 1990|
|Mrs.A.P.Arudchandran||1991 – 1992|
|Prof.K.Chitravadivelu||1992 – 1998|
|Mrs.N.Ravimannan||1998 – April, 2011|
|Mrs.K.Niranjan||May, 2011 -May,2017|
|Prof.P.Sevvel||May,2017 to date|