Head of the Department
Dr. E.C. Jeyaseelan
Senior Lecturer Gr.I
B.Sc. [Hons] (Jaffna),
Ph.D. (Reading, UK),
M.I.Biol. (Sri Lanka)
+94 21 222 9645
- Ph.D. (Molecular Plant Pathology) School of Agriculture Policy and Development, University of Reading, United Kingdom
- B.Sc. Special in Botany, First Class Department of Botany, University of Jaffna, Sri Lanka
- Induction Course for Probationary Academic Staff Staff Development Centre, University of Jaffna.
Head – Department of Botany – October 2022 to date
- Basic Biology
- Plant Pathology
- Plant Tissue culture
- Advanced Plant Pathology
- Natural vegetation types of Sri Lanka
- Senior Lecturer, Department of Botany, University of Jaffna, Sri Lanka (April, 2016 – to date)
- Visiting researcher, John Innes Centre, Norwich, United Kingdom (April, 2015 to June, 2015)
- Commonwealth Scholar, University of Reading, United Kingdom (September 2012 – March 2016)
- Lecturer, Department of Botany, University of Jaffna, Sri Lanka (August 2010 – August 2016)
- Assistant Lecturer, Department of Botany, University of Jaffna, Sri Lanka (August, 2008 – August, 2010)
- Probationary Lecturer Representative of the Science Faculty Board, University of Jaffna, [2011 – 2012]
- Member of the Science Faculty Board, University of Jaffna, 2016 to date
- Senior Treasurer, Biological Society, Faculty of Science, University of Jaffna [December, 2018 to November, 2020]
- Member, Health promotion committee, Faculty of Science, University of Jaffna 
- Member, University Business Linkages, Faculty of Science, University of Jaffna [2019 to date]
- Coordinator for basic Tamil and Sinhala course, Faculty of Science, University of Jaffna [2019 to date]
- Student counsellor, Faculty of Science, University of Jaffna [February, 2019 – February, 2020; March, 2021 to date]
- Academic counsellor, Department of Botany, University of Jaffna [August, 2020 – to date]
- Member, Web and IT committee, Faculty of Science, University of Jaffna
- Member of sub-committee for developing a new Honours Degree Programme B.Sc. in Molecular Biology and Biotechnology.
- Molecular identification and characterization of microbes
- Host pathogen interaction
- Eco-friendly disease management
- Marine macro-algae
- Book Title: Basic Biology: Fundamentals (For undergraduate students)
Authors: Dr. E.C. Jeyaseelan
Published by: Author
Year of Publication: January, 2022
2. Book Title: Plant Pathology [A textbook for undergraduates]
Authors: Dr. E.C.Jeyaseelan
Published by: Author
Year of Publication: December, 2022
Selected Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
- Nivetha, S, and Emmanuel,C.J. (2022). Impact of leaf spot disease on beetroot production in Jaffna
peninsula, Sri Lanka. Archives of Phytopathology and Plant Protection, 55(13):
1558-1570, DOI: 10.1080/03235408.2022.2105640
- Vinujan, S. Emmanuel, C. J.Arasakesary, S. J. and Srivijeindran S. (2022). Lethal yellowing disease in
Borassus flabellifer in Jaffna peninsula. Journal of Science. 13(01):40-48.
- Emmanuel, C.J., Deluxeani, K. and Sevvel, P., 2021. Fruit rot of butternut squash (Cucurbita moschata) caused by Choanephora cucurbitarumin Sri Lanka. Indian Phytopathology. https://doi.org/10.1007/s42360-021-00384-6
- Mahilrajan, S., Emmanuel, C.J. and Srivijeindran, S., 2021. Isolation and Identification of Indigenous Yeast Strain and Its Potential for Yeast Extract Production. Vingnanam Journal of Science, 16(1), 8-15.
- Emmanuel, C.J., Manohara, S and Shaw, M.W. Molecular characterization of begomovirus–betasatellite–alphasatellite complex associated with okra enation leaf curl disease in Northern Sri Lanka. 3 Biotech, 2020; 10,
- Vivekanandarajah Sathasivampili, S. and Christy Jeyaseelan, E., (2020). Pharmacological activities and phytochemical constituents of Phyllanthus reticulates Poir. – A review. Vingnanam Journal of Science, 15(1): 7–14.
- Sevvel P., Kugathasan D. and Emmanuel C.J. Fruit rot disease in
butternut squash caused by Pythium aphanidermatum in Trincomalee
district, Sri Lanka, Ceylon Journal of Science, 2020: 49 (5); 373–380.
- Jeyaseelan, T.C., Jeyaseelan, E.C., De Costa, D.M. and Shaw, M. W. (2020),Detection and absolute quantification of betasatellites associated with okra yellow vein mosaic disease by qPCR, Journal of Virological Methods. 276: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jviromet.2019.113789
- Emmanuel, C. J., Inthuja, A. and Keshiga, A. (2019), Status of Cassava cultivation in Jaffna peninsula and detection of Cassava mosaic disease causing agent. 14: 1- 6. DOI:http://doi.org/10.4038/vingnanam.v14i2.4150
- Emmanuel, C. J., van Kan, J. A. and Shaw, M. W. (2018), Differences in the gene transcription state of Botrytis cinerea between necrotic and symptomless infections of lettuce and Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Pathology, 67: 1865-1873. https://doi:10.1111/ppa.12907
- Jeyaseelan, T.C., Jeyaseelan, E.C., De Costa, D.M. and Shaw, M. W. (2018), Molecular characterization and phylogenetic analysis of betasatellite molecules associated with okra yellow vein mosaic disease in Sri Lanka. Tropical Plant Pathology. 43: 468-472. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40858-018-0225-1
- Muller, E., Ravel, S., Agret, C., Abrokwah, F., Dzahini-Obiatey, H., Galyuon, I., Kouakou, K., Jeyaseelan, E.C., Allainguillaume, J. and Wetten, A. (2018), Next generation sequencing elucidates cacao badnavirus diversity and reveals the existence of more than ten viral species. Virus Research. 244: 235-251. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.virusres.2017.11.019
- Shaw, M.W., Jeyaseelan, E.C., Emilda, D., Terhem, R., Shafia, A., Tsamaidi, D., Emblow, M. and van Kan, J. (2016) Diversity and environmental relations of cryptic, systemic Botrytis infections in symptomless hosts. Frontiers in Plant Science 7: 1–14. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2016.00625
- Jeyaseelan, E.C. and Jashothan, P.T.J (2013), Antibacterial efficacy of Manibadra Choornaya and its individual ingredients. International Research Journal of Pharmacy 4: 95-98. http://dx.doi.org/10.7897/2230-8407.04721
- Jeyaseelan EC., Jashothan PTJ (2012), In vitro control of Staphylococcus aureus (NCTC 6571) and Escherichia coli (ATCC 25922) by Ricinus communis L. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2: 717–721. doi: 10.1016/S2221-1691(12)60216-0
- Jeyaseelan EC., Jenothiny S, Pathmanathan M., Jeyadevan J. (2012), Antibacterial activity of sequentially extracted organic solvent extracts of fruits, flowers and leaves of Lawsonia inermis L. from Jaffna. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2: 798–802. doi: 10.1016/S2221-1691(12)60232-9
- Jeyaseelan, E.C., Kothai, S., Kavitha, R., Tharmila S. and Thavaranjit A.C. (2012), Antibacterial Activity of Some Selected Algae Present in the Costal Lines of Jaffna Peninsula. International Journal of Pharmaceutical & Biological Archives 3:352-356.
- Jeyaseelan, E.C., Tharmila S. and Thavaranjit A.C. (2011), In vitro evaluation of different aqueous extracts of Senna alata leaves for antibacterial activity. Sri Lankan Journal of Indigenous Medicine 1: 64-69.
- Jeyaseelan, E.C., Pathmanathan, M.K. and Jeyadevan, J.P. (2010), Inhibitory effect of different solvent extracts of Vitex negundo L. and Allium sativum L. on phytopathogenic bacteria. Archives of Applied Science Research 2: 325-33.
Selected Research Abstracts Presented at Conferences
- Kugathasan, D., Aruldchelvan, K., Jeyaseelan, T. C. and Emmanuel, C. J., 2021. Mutations observed in selected SARS-CoV-2 isolates. Undergraduate Research Symposium, Physics Society, University of Jaffna, Volume 1: p3.
- Donaldson, E. and Emmanuel, C.J., 2021. Isolation and identification of Bacillus species present in the Panchagavya preparations. Undergraduate Research Symposium, Physics Society, University of Jaffna, Volume 1: p5.
- Jayamani, T.H.P., Jeyadevan, J.P. and Emmanuel, C.J. (2020). Phytochemical analysis and antimicrobial activity of different solvent extract of stem of Cynanchum viminale (L.) (Muwakeeriya), in Proceedings of the 7th Ruhuna International Science & Technology Conference (RISTCON-2020), University of Ruhuna, Sri Lanka, p. 102.
- Kugathasan, D., Sevvel, P., and Jeyaseelan, E. C. (2019). Identification and management of fruit rot causing agent in Cucurbita moschata in Trincomalee district. Proceedings of the first national symposium of Sri Lanka Association for mycology and plant pathology, Oak Ray Regency, Kandy. P19.
- Keshiga, A., Jashothan, P.T.J., Jeyaseelan, T.C. and Jeyaseelan, E.C. (2018). Identification and in vitro control of pathogen causing leaf spot disease in Centella asiatica in Jaffna peninsula. International Research Symposium on Pure and Applied Sciences, Faculty of Science, University of Kelaniya, Sri Lanka. p2
- Jeyaseelan, E.C., Sharmya, M., Jeyaseelan, T.C. and Shaw, M.W. (2018). Okra leaf curl disease: an emerging threat to okra cultivation in Northern Sri Lanka. International Research Symposium on Pure and Applied Sciences, 2018 Faculty of Science, University of Kelaniya, Sri Lanka. p12.
- Emmanuel, C., Van Kan, J., and Shaw M (2015). ‘Botrytis cinerea grows symptomlessly in host plants: how?’ In: Annual meeting. Pasadena, California, USA: The American Phytopathological Society. p. 158–O.
- Jeyaseelan E.C, and Pathmanathan M.K (2009), “Susceptibility of Pseudomonas solanacearum to different solvent extracts of fruit and flower of Vitex negundo.” proceedings of the 65th Annual sessions, Sri Lanka Association for the Advancement of Science, p 72.
- Pathmanathan M.K, and Jeyaseelan E.C (2008), “Antibacterial activity of Allium sativum on Xanthomonas axonopodis and Pseudomonas solanacearum”, proceedings of the 64th Annual sessions, Sri Lankan Association for the Advancement of Science, p113.
Commonwealth Scholarship, United Kingdom
For doctoral studies, 2012-2016
Prof. K. Theivendirajah Gold medal
For the best performance in the honours degree examination in Science with a first class -2006
Mootathamby Swaminathan prize
For the best performance in the honours degree examination in Science -2006
University research grant- 2017 (Rs.0.75 Million): Completed
Research Title: Molecular identification of causative agent of a new wide spreading disease on Okra in Northern Sri Lanka.
University Research Grant – 2019 (Rs.0.8 Million): Completed
Research title: Molecular identification, characterization, and biological control of pathogen causing leaf spot disease on beetroot in Jaffna Peninsula.
- Workshop on ‘Plagiarism Detection Using Online Tools (May 2021) for the staff of the Palmyrah Research Institute.
- Training programme for technical officers organized by the Faculty of Science (August 2020)
- Training workshop on Mendeley Reference Management for the staff of the University of Jaffna, Staff Development Centre of the University of Jaffna (August 2020)
- Workshop on ‘Using social media to effectively promote your research’ and ‘Predatory Publishing: what is it and how to avoid it? (December 2019)
- Workshop on ‘Analysing your results using SPSS’ for the staff of the Palmyrah Research Institute (February 2019)
- Workshop on ‘Reference Management and Choosing the Right Journal’ for the staff of the Palmyrah Research Institute (January 2019)
- Short course on techniques and applications in molecular microbiology-2018 at Postgraduate Institute of Agriculture, University of Peradeniya (2018)
- Training programme for science teachers on ‘Environmental sensitive subject areas’ organized by National Institute of Education (2016)
National / International Contributions
- Chairperson, Section A, Jaffna Science Association (2021)
- Executive committee member, Sri Lanka Association for Mycology and Plant Pathology (2021)
- Advisor, Mendeley Reference Management, Elsevier (June 2020 – to date)
- Research consultant for yeast based products at Palmyrah Research Institute (2017, 2019, 2020)
- Research collaboration with Palmyrah Development Board and District Secretariat, Jaffna for the research on ‘Palmyrah death incidence in Punguduthivu’ (2020)
- Member of technical evaluation committee, Palmyrah development board, Sri Lanka 2017
Editor / Sub-editor
- Vingnanam Journal of Science [Faculty of Science, University of Jaffna]
Associate Editor (2019 – 2021)
- Frontiers in Fungal Biology: Fungi-Plant Interactions
Review Editor on the Editorial Board (September 2020 – to date)
- Member of American Phytopathological Society
- Member of British Plant Pathological Society
- Member of Sri Lankan Association for Advancement of Science
- Member of Institute of Biology, Sri Lanka
- Member of Jaffna science association, Sri Lanka
- Member of Young Scientist Forum, Sri Lanka
- Member of Sri Lanka Association for Mycology and Plant Pathology