Dr (Mrs) Gowri Rajkumar
Senior Lecturer I
B.Sc. [Hons] (Jaffna), Ph.D. (Colombo)
+94 21 222 9645
- Completed PhD in Plant Molecular Biology from the Institute of Biochemistry Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, University of Colombo, Sri Lanka.
Duration–3 years and 3 Months
Title :“Genetic differentiation of Sri Lankan rice germplasm by AFLP markers and morphological, physiological and molecular studies of wild rice species Oryza rhizomatis Vaughan”
Research area – Plant Molecular Biology and Bioinformatics
- B.Sc. Honours in Botany (1st class) Topped the list
Institution: University of Jaffna, Jaffna, SriLanka
Area:Specialization in Botany
- Resource person–Technical Evaluation Committee –Curriculum Revision- Molecular Biology-QIG- Bio Science -2013
- Resource Person – Member of Sub-Committee of Faculty Board of Science, Offering a new Honours Degree Programme B.Sc. in Molecular Biology and Biotechnology. 2019.
- Resource person – Technical Evaluation Committee –Curriculum Revision- Botany-QIG- Bio Science -2013 (Evidence – Letter).
- Resource person–Expression of interest to submit an ELTA-ELSE Proposal at Department level- Proposal writing team. 2018.
- Member:COVID19 Health promotion committee. Faculty of Science.2020
- Plant Diversity
- Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
- Molecular Genetics
- Genomic diversity, molecular evolution and taxonomy of rice and other plants.
- Molecular markers and marker assisted selection.
- Cloning and construction of subtraction libraries.
- DNA sequencing and characterization of DNA clones by bioinformatics tools.
- Nutritional analysis of grains and fruits.
- Rajkumar G, Weerasena J , Fernando K , Liyanage A, Silva R. Genetic differentiation of Sri Lankan traditional rice (Oryzasativa) varieties and Wild rice species by AFLP markers. Nordic Journal of Botany. 2011;29:2:238–243
- Rajkumar G, Weerasena J, Fernando K. Liyanage Assessment of Genetic Diversity among Sri Lankan Rice varieties by AFLP Markers. Plant Genetic Resources: Characterization and Utilization. 2011;9:224-228.
- Rajkumar G, Silva R, Weerasena J , Kumudu K. Comparison of General Nutritional composition of wild rice O.rhizomatis A. Vaughanand the commercial variety Bg352. Tropical Plant Research. 2014:1:2:08–10.
- Rajkumar, O. V. D. S. J. Weerasena, K. K. S. Fernando. A study of genetic diversity in Oryza rhizomatisD.A. Vaughan accessions using AFLP markers and morphological traits. Tropical Plant Research. 2015:2(1): 10–16.
- GowriRajkumar, JagathpriyaWeerasena, Rangika Silva and Kumudu Fernando. Genomic diversity of Sri Lankan new improved rice varieties revealed by AFLP markers. International Journal of Applied Sciences and Biotechnology. 2016:4(1): 32-38.
- GowriRajkumar, JagathpriyaWeerasenaandKumudu Fernando. DNA Sequencing and Bioinformatics Analysis of Clone pOr78 from the Species Specific Suppression Subtractive Hybridization Library Constructed from Endemic Wild Rice Species O. rhizomatis. International Journal of Applied Sciences and Biotechnology. 2017:5(2): 133-140.
- Ajeitha and R Gowri. Comparative analysis of general nutritional composition of selected rice varieties grown in Northern Province of Sri Lanka. Proceedings of the 5th Young Scientists Forum, National Science and Technology Commission. 2016: 1-4.
- Mathanki Krishnamoorthy and Gowri Rajkumar Optimization of DNA extraction Protocol for herbarium specimens (2017).Asia-Pacific Multidisciplinary Research Conference. Colombo 29-30 July 2017. P37.
- M.D.K Dissanayaka and G Rajkumar Proximate nutritional analysis of small onion varieties, Bombay onion and garlic available in Jaffna (2017).Proceedings of the 1st International Symposium on Agriculture. 6th October, Faculty of Agriculture, Eastern University of Sri Lanka. P71-75.
- Rajkumar G , Weerasena OVDSJ , Fernando KKS , Liyanage ASU (2010) AFLP Analysis of Genetic Relationships and Diversity of Sri Lankan Oryzasativa cultivars (Improved Varieties). Journal of Biotechnology. Doi:10.1016/j.jbiotech.2010.09.886.
- Gowri Rajkumar, Bhaminy Selvakulasingam. Comparative Study of Nutrient Composition of Selected Cereal Grains Available in Jaffna, Sri Lanka. Annals of Biological Research. 2019:10(2): 21-24.
- Sanmugarajah, V., & Rajkumar, G. (2022). A Review of Anti-hyperglycemic Effects of Curry Leaf Tree (Murraya koenigii). Borneo Journal of Pharmacy, 5(2): 104-114. DOI:https://doi.org/10.33084/bjop.v5i2.3300
- Rajkumar, G., Panambara, P. A. H. R., & Sanmugarajah, V. (2022). Comparative Analysis of Qualitative and Quantitative Phytochemical Evaluation of Selected Leaves of Medicinal Plants in Jaffna, Sri Lanka. Borneo Journal of Pharmacy, 5(2): 93-103. DOI: https://doi.org/10.33084/bjop.v5i2.3091
- Vinotha Sanmugarajah, Gowri Rajkumar, P.A.H.R. Panambara, (2022). A Detail Review on Heart-Leaved Moonseed (Tinospora cordifolia) Medicinal Plant. Journal of Tropical Pharmacy and Chemistry; 6(2): 1-13.
- Gowri Rajkumar, P.A.H.R. Panambara, Vinotha Sanmugarajah (2022). Comparative In Vitro antimicrobial activity of selected four medicinal plant leaves. Vingnanam Journal of Science, June 2022; 17(1): 21-29.
Peer reviewed Presentations (International Conferences/ Symposia – Abstract)
- Rajkumar G, Weerasena OVDSJ, Fernando KKS, Liyanage ASU. 2009. Genetic Differentiation of Sri Lankan Rice Varieties Using Fluorescent AFLP (Amplified Fragment Length Polymorphisms) Markers. International conference on frontiers in molecular life sciences of Institute of Biochemistry Molecular Biology and Biotechnology: Page 43.
- Rajkumar G, Weerasena OVDSJ, Fernando KKS, Liyanage ASU. 2010. Assessment of the genetic variability among Sri Lankan rice varieties by fluorescent AFLP (Amplified Fragment Length Polymorphisms) markers. Second International Symposium on Genomic of Plant Genetic Resources, Bologna, Italy.Pp3.73:153.
- Rajkumar G, WeerasenaOVDSJ , Fernando KKS , Liyanage ASU. 2010. Assessment of the genetic diversity of Sri Lankan traditional rice varieties by fluorescent Amplified Fragment Length Polymorphisms Markers (fAFLP). International Rice Research Conference, Hanoi, Vietnam. P12:181
- Rajkumar G, WeerasenaOVDSJ , Fernando KKS , Liyanage ASU. 2010 Utility of Biosystematics and molecular genetics in differentiation of Indigenous rice germplasm collection of Sri Lanka. 5th Asian Biotechnology and Development Conference, Kandy, Sri Lanka
- GowriRajkumar, JagathpriyaWeerasena, Rangika Silva. 2011. Comparision of similarity coefficients for Amplified Fragment Length Polymorphism molecular markers used for cluster analysis and genetic relationship within Sri Lankan rice varieties. Proceedings of the International Statistics Conference. Page113.
- GowriRajkumar,Jagathpriyaweerasena,Kumudu Fernando. 2014. Construction of species specific suppression subtractive hybridization library from the endemic wild rice species Oryzarhizomatisand characterization of cDNA clones. 2nd International Conference Frontiers to Molecular Life Sciences, IBMBB, University of Colombo. Page 42.
- GowriRajkumar, JagathWeerasena, Kumudu Fernando, YasinthaLiyanage. 2014. Assessment of viability, germination potential and dormancy breaking methods of Sri Lankan endemic wild rice species Oryzarhizomatis. (Abstract No. IRC14-0552). 4th International Rice Conference, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Gowri Rajkumar,Jagathpriya weerasena,Kumudu Fernando. 2014. DNA sequencing and bioinformatics analysis of clone pOr78 from the species specific suppression subtractive hybridization library constructed from wild rice species O.rhizomatis. (Abstract No. IRC14-1262). 4thInternational Rice Conference,Bangkok, Thailand.
- Gowri Rajkumarand Bhaminy Selvakulasingam. 2017. Comparative analysis of general nutritional composition of selected grains grown in Northern Province of Sri Lanka.Second Asia-Pacific Multidisciplinary Research Conference. Colombo 29-30 P19.
- Fathima Sameera Mohammed Saheem and GowriRajkumar. 2018. A Modified CTAB protocol for DNA extraction from edible mushrooms. Third Asia-Pacific Multidisciplinary Research Conference. Colombo, Sri Lanka. P.14
- Mathanki Krishnamoorthy and Gowri Rajkumar. 2018. DNA Extraction from various flowers. Third Asia-Pacific Multidisciplinary Research Conference. Colombo, Sri Lanka. P.21
- Mathanki Krishnamoorthy andGowri Rajkumar. 2018. Optimization of DNA extraction from various parts of Cardiospermum helicacabum. Wayamba university International conference.p54.
Peer reviewed Presentations (National Conferences/ Symposia – Abstract)
- Gowri P and Nandakumar J. 2005. Allelopathic effects of Cyperusrotundus (purple nut sedge) on early seedling growth of maize, rice, onion and tomato. 13th Annual sessionsProceedings of the Jaffna Science Association. Vol. 12, p02
- Gowri R, Weerasena OVDSJ, Fernando KKS. 2011. Revealing Genomic diversity of Sri Lankan traditional, improved and wild rice species. Fourth annual scientific sessions of Institute of Biochemistry Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, University of Colombo. Page 21.
- Rajkumar G, Weerasena OVDSJ, Fernando KKS, Ratnasiri PW. 2012. Morphological and Molecular comparisons of O.rhizomatis accessions collected from different locations in Sri Lanka. Fifth annual scientific sessions of Institute of Biochemistry Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, University of Colombo. Page 5.
- G Rajkumar, R.Silva, J.Weerasena, K.Fernando. 2013. Analysis of general nutritional composition of wild rice species Oryzarhizomatis. 20th Annual sessionsProceedings of the Jaffna Science Association. Vol 20. p04.
- GowriRajkumar, JagathWeerasena, Kumudu Fernando. 2014. AFLP analysis of wild rice species available in Sri Lanka. 21st Annual sessionsProceedings of the Jaffna Science Association. Vol 20. p07.
- Jayasinghe M.R., Rajkumar G., Sanmugarajah V. and Thavaranjit A.C. (2022). Comparative physicochemical analysis of seeds of selected medicinal plants used in Traditional Medicine. Proceedings and Abstracts of 9th Ruhuna International Science and Technology Conference 2022 (RISTCON 2022): 19th January 2022, p. 76.
- Umeshika Supunsara Aheshani Jayathilaka, Gowri Rajkumar, Vinotha Sanmugarajah. (2022). A comparative study of screening and quantitative determination of phytochemical compounds in different parts of the antidiabetic medicinal plant Psidium guajava L. in Sri Lanka. Proceedings of 26th Annual Technological Advances in Science, Medicine and Engineering Conference 2022 (TASME 2022). Toronto, Canada, 22nd August 2022. p. 108.
- M. D. N. Serasinghe, G. Rajkumar and V. Sanmugarajah (2022). Preliminary analysis of phytochemicals in different parts of Jack fruit tree (Artocarpus heterophyllus Lam) in Sri Lanka. Proceedings and Abstracts of International Conference on Applied and Pure Sciences 2022 (ICPAS 2022), Faculty of Science, University of Kelaniya, 14th October 2022, p. 26.
- A.H.R. Panambara, G. Rajkumar, V. Sanmugarajah (2022). Qualitative and quantitative phytochemical analysis of leaves and flowers of the medicinal plant Ocimum tenuiflorum L. Proceedings and Abstracts of Faculty Annual Research Session 2022 (FARS 2022), Faculty of Applied Science, University of Vavuniya, 3rd November 2022, p. 24.
- US Aheshani Jayathilaka, Gowri Rajkumar, Vinotha Sanmugarajah (2022). COMPARATIVE PHYSICOCHEMICAL ANALYSIS OF DIFFERENT PARTS OF MEDICINAL PLANT Psidium guajava L. IN JAFFNA DISTRICT. 5th International Research Conference (TRInCo – 2022). 9th – 12th November 2022 @ Trincomalee Campus, Eastern University, Sri Lanka.
- Encouragement Award: Financial Assistance by UGC under the Encouragement Award Scheme – 2014 Category: International mobility support
- IRRC28 travel grant award: Travel and Registration grants by the scientific committee of the 3rd International Rice Congress, 2010.
- Outstanding poster presentation award at the international conference on frontiers in molecular life sciences of Institute of Biochemistry Molecular Biology and Biotechnology in 2009.
- MoortathambySwaminathan prize for Botany for the best performance in the Honours degree in Botany
- Professor K. Theivendrarajah gold medal for best performance in the Honours degree in Botany
Appointments and university positions
- Academic Advisor 13-06-2017 – 13-06-2020
- Student Councellor Period from 01.02.2018 – 31.01.2019 and 01.03.2020- 28.02.2021
- Joint secretary, JUSTA University of Jaffna, Sri Lanka 2013/2014.
- Secretary of Jaffna Science Association, Section A (Applied Science) Sri Lanka – 2013/2014.
- Member of Technical Evaluation Committee- Workshop on Curriculum Revision – Molecular Biology- 2013.
- Member of Technical Evaluation Committee- Workshop on Curriculum Revision – Botany – 2013.