Dr. (Mrs.) Tharmila C. Jeyaseelan
Senior Lecturer Gr.II
B.Sc. [Hons] (Jaffna),
+94 21 222 9645
- Ph.D. (Molecular Plant Virology) Plant Protection Board of Study
Postgraduate Institute of Agriculture, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka.
Part of the research was carried out at the University of Reading, United Kingdom.
- Coursework for Molecular and Applied Microbiology (30 Credits)
Plant Protection Board of Study
Postgraduate Institute of Agriculture, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka.
- B.Sc. (Honors) in Botany, First Class Department of Botany, University of Jaffna, Sri Lanka
- Induction Course for Probationary Academic Staff Staff Development Centre, University of Jaffna.
- Plant Diversity
- Plant Systematics
- Plant Breeding
- Plant Virology
- Applied Botany- Weed Biology
- Economically Important Plants
- Demonstrator (Temporary) [2009-2010]
- Assistant Lecturer (Temporary) [2010 – 2012]
- Lecturer in Botany [2012 – 2020]
- Senior Lecturer in Botany (Grade II) [2020 – Present]
- Member of the Science Faculty Board, University of Jaffna, 2020 to date
- Member of the programme review committee under teaching and learning Criteria
Coordinator for Extended Applied Science Degree Programme, Department of Botany, Faculty of Science, University of Jaffna.
- Diagnosis of Virus, Viroid and Phytoplasma diseases
- Molecular Identification and Characterization of Plant Viruses, Viroids and Phytoplasmas
- Developing Molecular Techniques to Detect Plant Viruses, Viroids and Phytoplasmas
- Eco-friendly disease management practices
- Screening bioactive compounds from plants
In Peer Reviewed International Journals
Jeyaseelan, T.C., De Costa, D.M. and Shaw, M.W. (2021). Two different begomovirus species are associated with yellow vein mosaic disease of okra in Sri Lanka. Molecular Biology Reports. 48, pp. 1383–1391. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-021-06213-3
- Tharmila, C.J., Emmanuel, C.J., De Costa, D.M, and Shaw, M.W. (2020). Detection and absolute quantification of betasatellites associated with okra yellow vein mosaic disease by qPCR. Journal of Virological Methods. 276, pp. 1-8.
- Jeyaseelan, T.C., Jeyaseelan, E.C., De Costa, D.M. and Shaw, M.W (2019) Selecting and optimizing a reliable DNA extraction method for isolating viral DNA in okra (Abelmoschus esculentus). Vingnanam Journal of Science. 14 (1), pp. 7-13.
- Tharmila, C. J., Emmanuel, C.J., De Costa, D.M. and Shaw, M W. (2018) Molecular characterization and phylogenetic analysis of betasatellite molecules associated with okra yellow vein mosaic disease in Sri Lanka. Tropical Plant Pathology. 43(5), pp. 468-472. doi:10.1007/s40858-018-0225-1.
- Jeyaseelan, E.C., Jenifer, J., Tharmila, C.J., Jashothan, P.T.J., Nandakumar, J. and Jeyadevan, J.P. (2017). Authentication of antibacterial activity of wound healing Siddha medicinal plants. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications .7(8), pp. 407-411.
- Piratheepa, K., Thavaranjit, A.C., Tharmila C. J., Nanthakumar, J. and Nalini, S. (2015) Factors influencing on germination of some plant seeds by bacterization of Serratia marcescens. J. Nat. Prod. Plant Resour. 5 (1), pp. 26-30.
- Sivasinthujah, P., Srikaran, R., Thavaranjit, A.C, Velauthamurty, K., Tharmila, C.J., Abiman, P. and Iyngaran, P. (2014) Contents of nitrate, nitrite and the occurrence of bacteria in fermented cooked parboiled rice and their potential ingestion in the diet. J. Microbiol. Biotech. Res. 4 (4), pp. 56-61.
- Tharmila, S., Jeyaseelan, E.C. and Justin Jasothan, P.T. (2013) Antibacterial efficacy of Manibadra choornaya and its individual ingredients. International Research Journal of Pharmacy. 4(7), pp. 95-98.
- Tharmila, S., Vasanthakala, R., Nalini, S. and Thavaranjit, A.C. (2013) In vitro screening of antagonistic effect of soil borne bacteria on some selected phytopathogenic fungi. Archives of Applied Science Research. 5(1), pp. 1-4.
- Jeyaseelan, E.C, Tharmila, S., Sathiyaseelan, V. and Niranjan, K. (2012) Antibacterial activity of various solvent extracts of some selected medicinal plants present in Jaffna peninsula. International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biological Archives. 3(4), pp. 792-796.
- Jeyaseelan, E.C., Tharmila, S. and Niranjan, K. (2012) Antagonistic activity of Trichoderma spp. and Bacillus spp. against Pythium aphanidermatum isolated from tomato damping off. Archives of Applied Science Research. 4(4), pp. 1623-1627.
- Jeyaseelan, E.C., Kothai, S., Kavitha, R., Tharmila, S. and Thavaranjit, A.C. (2012) Antibacterial Activity of Some Selected Algae Present in the Costal Lines of Jaffna peninsula. International Journal of Pharmaceutical & Biological Archives. 3(2), pp. 343-347.
- Tharmila, S., Jeyaseelan, E.C. and Thavaranjit, A.C. (2012) Inhibitory effect of some traditional hair washing substances on hair borne bacteria. Der Pharmacia Lettre. 04(01), pp. 199-204.
- Tharmila, S., Jeyaseelan, E.C. and Thavaranjit A.C. (2011) Preliminary screening of alternative culture media for the growth of some selected fungi. Archives of Applied Science Research. 3(3), pp. 389-393.
- Jeyaseelan, E.C., Tharmila. S. and Thavaranjit, A.C. (2011) In vitro evaluation of different aqueous extracts of Senna alata leaves for antibacterial activity. Sri Lanka Journal of Indigenous Medicine. 01(02), pp. 64-69.
- Tharmila, S., Thileepan, T., Thavaranjit, A.C. and Srikaran, R. (2011) Antibacterial properties of “Accmus” mouthwash. Sri Lanka Journal of Indigenous Medicine. 01(02), pp. 83-8.
Research Abstracts Presented at Conferences
- Arudchelvan, K., Tharmila, C. J., Jeyaseelan, E.C. and De Costa, D.M. (2022). Prevalence of begomovirus association with different viral disease symptoms in tomato cultivation in Jaffna peninsula. Proceedings of Jaffna Science Association, Jaffna, Volume 28(1): p10.
- Sujani, S.W. and Tharmila, C.J. (2022). Bioactivity of aqueous and ethanol extracts of plants traditionally used for oral care. Proceedings of 26th Annual Technological Advances in Science, Medicine, and Engineering Conference 2022.
Kugathasan, D., Aruldchelvan, K., Jeyaseelan, T. C. and Emmanuel, C. J. (2021). Mutations observed in selected SARS-CoV-2 isolates. Undergraduate Research Symposium, Physics Society, University of Jaffna.1, pp. 3.
- Tharmila, C.J., Jeyaseelan, E.C., Ihsan, U., Wetten, A.C., De Costa, D.M. and Shaw, M.W. (2017) First Report on Association of Okra yellow vein mosaic virus With Yellow Vein Mosaic Disease of Okra (Abelmoschus esculentus) in Sri Lanka. Plant Disease. 101(7), pp. 1335. doi:10.1094/PDIS-10-16-1492-PDN.
- Kothai, S., Tharmila, S. and Thavaranjit, A.C. (2014) Evaluation of two locally available tuber flours as alternative media for culturing fungi. Proceedings of the Peradeniya Univ. International Research Sessions, Sri Lanka. 18, pp. 428.
- Tharmila, S., Sevvel, P., Niranjan, K. and Ravimannan, N. (2013) In vitro antibacterial activity of some medicinal plants found in Jaffna peninsula. Jaffna Science Association twentieth Annual Sessions. pp. 03.
- Jeyaseelan, E.C., Tharmila, S. and Niranjan, K. (2012) In vitro antagonistic effect of Trichoderma spp. against Tomato damping off pathogen Pythium aphanidermatum. Proceedings of the abstracts of Jaffna university international research conference. pp. 13.
- Kalaichelvi, S., Tharmila, S. and Arulanantham, C.T. (2012) Antimicrobial study of different methods of purified sulphur. Pandit G.P Wickramarachchi Memorial International Research Symposium. Pp. 51.
- Tharmila, S., Jeyaseelan, E.C. and Thavaranjit, A.C. (2011) Feasibility of using palmyrah raw tuber flour as an alternative culture medium for fungal growth. Proceedings of the 31st Annual Sessions of the Institute of Biology, Sri Lanka. pp. 05.
- Tharmila, S., Jeyaseelan, E.C. and Thavaranjit, A.C. (2011) Evaluation of in vitro antibacterial activity of some medicinal plant extracts on hair borne bacteria. Proceedings of the 31st Annual Sessions of the Institute of Biology, Sri Lanka. pp.14.
- Jeyaseelan, E.C., Tharmila, S., Kavitha, R., Niranjan, K. and Thavaranjit, A.C. (2011) Antimicrobial activity and phytochemical analysis of different aqueous extracts of Senna alata. Vavuniya Campus Annual Research Session. pp. 46.
Prof. K. Theivendirajah Gold medal
For the best performance in the honours degree examination in Science with a first class -2008
Mooththathamby Swaminathan prize
For the best performance in the honours degree examination in Science -2008
- University Research Grant-2021, Grant No- URG-2021-SEIT-21 [Rs.0.8 Million]: Ongoing
- Financial Assistance by University Grants Commission for higher studies, Grant No: UGC/DRIC/PG/2015(ii)/JFN/01. [1.1 Million]
National and International Contributions
- Member of Sri Lankan Association for Advancement of Science.
- Life member of Sri Lanka Association for Mycology and Plant Pathology (SLAMPP)
- Life member of Jaffna science association (JSA).
Member of Institute of Biology, Sri Lanka